Yuck, stink bugs! While rather harmless, stink bugs are annoying, gross, and as the name says – they stink! Warm weather typically means an influx of these pests as they venture out after hiding all winter. So let’s take a closer look to get to know them.
Stink Bug Facts:
- Stink bugs came to the United States from Eastern Asia in the mid-1990s
- Stink bugs release an odor when threatened or crushed
- The unique shield shape is a signature characteristic of stink bugs
- Adult stink bugs are capable fliers with fully developed wings
- Stink bugs can damage crops
- When it starts to get cool outside (late summer, early fall), stink bugs enter houses to find a place to overwinter
- Stink bugs will often warm themselves in the sunny areas of houses
- A clear sign of an infestation is a significant number of alive or dead stink bugs
- Adult stink bugs feed on fruit
- Nymph stink bugs feed on leaves, stems and fruit
How to Prevent Stink Bugs:
Stink bugs enter through gaps, cracks and crevices so it is very helpful to inspect the exterior of your home and seal up any openings that you find. A preventative treatment by your trusted local pest control professional is also a great way to prevent stink bugs.
If you have stink bugs in your home or you’d like to prevent stink bugs, contact us for a free inspection. Attention Pest Solutions offers stink bug control for Saratoga County, Albany County, Washington County, Fulton County, Warren County, Schenectady County and Montgomery County.