Ants are back! Have you found these pesky pests inside your home lately? You’re not alone! Warmer temperatures have brought ants back out looking for food and building up their hills. Let’s learn a little more about them.
- There are over 12,000 species of ants
- An ant can lift 20 times its own weight
- Ants listen by feeling vibrations in the ground through their feet
- When searching for food, ants leave a pheromone trail to mark where they went
- Queen ants have wings that they shed when they start a new nest
- If the queen of a colony dies, the colony will survive just a few short months
- Some ant colonies can contain millions of ants
- Colonies are made up of the queen, female workers, and males for mating
- Ants have two stomachs, one for their own food consumption and one for sharing food with others
- Ants do not have lungs
How to Prevent Ants:
When ants enter your home, they are looking for food. So the simplest way to prevent ants is to make sure you aren’t leaving any food out to attract them such as crumbs on the floor or dirty countertops. It is also helpful to seal any cracks and gaps around the exterior of your home where they may get in.
If you encounter ants in your home, contact us for a free inspection. Attention Pest Solutions offers ant control for Saratoga County, Albany County, Washington County, Fulton County, Warren County, Schenectady County and Montgomery County.