Termites cause an estimated $5 billion in property damage and repair costs annually. These silent destroyers chew through wood, flooring and walls. Arming yourself with knowledge is the first step in getting ahead of these pests. Let’s learn more about them:
- Winged termites are often the first sign of a subterranean termite infestation.
- Untreated termite colonies can grow and multiply creating new colonies.
- There are over 40 species of termites in the U.S.
- Flying termites have two pairs of wings.
- Subterranean termites connect their underground colonies to their above-ground food sources with mud tubes.
- Queens can live for over 10 years.
- Workers and soldiers typically live 1 to 2 years.
- If there is a termite swarm that usually means the colony is at least 3 years old.
- Termites have been around for over 100 million years.
- While termites are usually ¼ to ½ inch long, kings and queens can be over 1 inch long.
How to Get Rid of Termites:
Termites often go unnoticed which means they could be entrenched in your home by the time you realize they are there. They can cause significant damage so it is important to take action right away. It is best to contact your local exterminator who will evaluate the situation and design a termite treatment plan to rid your home of termites.
To discuss termite control for your home, contact us today. Attention Pest Solutions offers termite control and residential pest control for Saratoga County, Albany County, Washington County, Fulton County, Warren County, Schenectady County and Montgomery County.