Carpenter ants can be a major problem for Capital Region homeowners. As they invade, nest and grow their colony, significant damage can be done to the wood in your home. Let’s get a little more familiar with these pests:
Carpenter Ant Facts:
- Carpenter ants do not eat wood, instead they tunnel and chew through it to build their nest.
- Large colonies can contain upwards of 50,000 carpenter ants.
- Swarmers appear May to August in Upstate New York.
- Carpenter ants are usually black, red, or black and red.
- Moisture and soft wood are appealing to carpenter ants.
- Workers will forage up to 300 feet from the nest.
- Most worker activity takes place from just before dusk until dawn.
- Queens can live up to 25 years.
- Workers sometimes create satellite colonies for more space, food or water.
- It takes 6-12 weeks for an egg to progress to an adult.
How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants:
It’s important to address a carpenter ant infestation immediately because they can cause structural damage as well as cosmetic damage. The nest must be located and eradicated, and moisture issues must be resolved. It is advisable to contact your local pest control expert to assess the situation and implement a carpenter ant treatment plan.
To discuss carpenter ant control for your home, contact us today. Attention Pest Solutions offers carpenter ant control and residential pest control for Saratoga County, Albany County, Washington County, Fulton County, Warren County, Schenectady County and Montgomery County.