The sounds of spring: birds chirping, sprinklers watering the lawn, hot dogs sizzling on the grill, and buzzzzzzzzzzzzz…MOSQUITOES! We’ve all been there. The annoying buzz in your ear followed by the sneaky landing, the bite, and the itchy bump. Let’s learn a little more about these annoying pests:
- Only female mosquitoes bite.
- Female mosquitoes bite you for your blood which contains essential components for their egg production.
- The estimated lifespan of a mosquito is less than 2 months.
- One of the main ways mosquitoes locate their host is by smelling the CO2 in the host’s breath.
- Their saliva is transferred during the bite which can cause an itchy rash.
- Mosquitoes can drink 3 times their body weight in blood.
- Mosquitoes are vectors of diseases such as malaria, yellow fever, Chikungunya, West Nile, dengue fever, filariasis and Zika.
- Mosquitoes cause the deaths of more people than any other animal.
- The estimated flight speed of mosquitoes is 1-1.5 mph.
- There are more than 3,000 species of mosquitoes.
How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes:
Mosquitoes can be quite abundant, especially in conditions that they like. Preventative measures like eliminating standing water in your yard can help reduce how many mosquitoes you attract. Some of our favorite mosquito control methods include residual applications made to overgrowth and low lying tree & shrub foliage (mosquito resting areas), IGR dunks in ditches & ponds, and the In2Care Mosquito Trap which attracts and kills both adult mosquitoes and larvae (one trap can provide coverage for approximately 4,300 square feet).
To discuss a mosquito control program for your home, contact us today. Attention Pest Solutions offers mosquito control and residential pest control for Saratoga County, Albany County, Washington County, Fulton County, Warren County, Schenectady County and Montgomery County.